Best BaFin Forex Brokers
Bundesanstalt für Finanzdienstleistungsaufsicht, also known as BaFin, is the overall financial regulatory authority in the republic of Germany. The body is responsible for overseeing a number of sectors in the financial industry. These include the banking sector, insurance, investment and even the securities sector. The success of this regulatory authority has been pegged on the fact that the body pushes for integrity in the German financial market. The authority ensures that the BaFin Forex brokers, investors, banks and even insurance owners trust the financial system, which helps to keep the market stable. BaFin or the Federal Financial Supervisory Authority is one of the largest regulatory bodies in the country since Frankfurt is one of the largest financial market in Europe. The regulatory framework established by BaFin is set by the federal authorities in the European country, which requires Forex brokers to follow strict rules for a safe Forex marketplace. The table below shows some of the Forex brokers regulated by BaFin.
- Forex Brokers
- Binary Options Brokers
- CFD Trading Brokers
- MT4 Forex Brokers
- MT5 Forex Brokers
- Mobile Forex Brokers
- Spread Betting Brokers
- UK Forex Brokers
- Swiss Forex Brokers
- Australian Brokers
- PAMM Brokers
- ECN Brokers
- US Forex Brokers
- Cent Account Brokers
- Scalping Brokers
- Lowest spread Forex Brokers
- VPS Forex Brokers
- Segregated Accounts Brokers
- 5 digit Brokers
- Hedging Brokers
- Banks with Forex Traiding
|Company||#||Logo||Forex broker||Founded||Regulated||Reviews||Payment systems||Broker type(?)||Min. Deposit||Max.|
Brief history of BaFin regulatory authority
BaFin was established in May 2002, pursuant to the enactment of the FSI Act (Financial Services and Integration Act). Prior to this act being enacted, financial regulation in the country was carried out by three different organizations. These three institutions included the Federal Banking Supervisory Office, the Federal Supervisory Office for Securities Trading and the Federal Insurance Supervisory office. The act was meant to consolidate these three organizations into one regulatory authority. Since its inception in 2002, the regulatory authority has gained a reputation of being one of the strictest financial regulatory authorities in the world.
One of the primary reasons for establishing a single regulatory body was to create one body that would monitor all sectors of the financial market. Initially, BaFin was not given extensive authority on some sectors such as the Forex market and CFD trading as they were not popular at the time. The recent growth of Forex and CFD trading in Germany prompted BaFin to create regulations that would not only protect the local investors but also the service providers. It is an autonomous body as it does not rely on funding from the German governments but collects funds from the institutions which fall under it such as German Forex brokers. To date, BaFin has been known to respond quickly to instances of fraud and regularly updates its rulebook to ensure that it can prevent financial crimes effectively.
Composition, roles and responsibility of BaFin
BaFin regulates a large number of financial institutions with about 1850 being banking organizations, more than 590 insurance firms, pension schemes and other 690 financial service providers. There are different categories of banks under BaFin such as specialists banks, regional banks and even saving banks. A prominent example is the Deutsche bank, which is a major German bank regulated by BaFin. Due to the large number of organizations that it monitors including both retail investors and vendors, it becomes necessary for the authority to institute enough laws to protect the market players. The roles and responsibilities of BaFin can easily be categorized into three namely;
- Investor protection
- Maintaining solvency
- Supervising market players
Protecting Forex investors is an important role of any financial regulatory authority in a country. Since the trading of currencies is an essential and sensitive issue, it is vital for these authorities to put in place some measures that ensure that the average investor does not lose cash. The authority works round the clock to ensure that Forex brokers in Germany do not engage in any fraudulent or unauthorized financial transactions. For example, BaFin has established a customer support or helpline that allows German citizens to inquire about the financial services offered in the country such as the offering of pensions and insurance. As a currency trader in Germany, you can easily pass on any complaints about the financial firms and banking institutions.
If they have the power to act on your complaint then they can use their powers to demand solutions from the banks on your behalf. In other instances, they can simply claim that there is no legal basis for your legal complaint and you will have to deal with the Forex broker directly. Furthermore, the authority also promotes issues such as the provision of pensions and other financial instruments to ensure that the clients have a more responsible future.
BaFin also has the role of ensuring that banks, Forex brokerage firms and other financial services institutions remain solvent. It is crit8ical for any financial regulatory authority to ensure that the firms they are supervising can fulfill their financial obligations as they promised their clients. This is done by ensuring that the Forex brokers have a minimum operating capital and that their financial reserves can meet the monetary transactions placed by the clients. Solvency protection is critical in the FX industry as there have been fraudulent brokers who are unable to pay their clients or who cannot operate effectively due to the lack of capital.
Another reason for ensuring solvency protection is to ensure that the credit worthiness of each Forex broker is intact. By ensuring that each Forex brokerage firm in Germany is credit worthy, the authority can know that the financial investments of all clients are secure. Monitoring the credit worthiness of each broker can save the local investors from losing their wealth.
The ability to carry out financial transactions fairly and transparently are the cornerstone of trading securities in any financial market around the world. The BaFin ensures that this is achieved by preventing illegal trading, financial manipulation of securities and even insider trading. The regulatory body has the authority to institute sanctions where it feels that there are suspicions. Under their market supervision roles, the regulatory authority has the responsibility of ensuring that all companies and banks under it comply with the financial laws of the country. For example, shareholders are required to report if they have more than 30% stake in a regulated company and they are obligated to sell these shares to other shareholders as a protection measure. An addition responsibility of BaFin is to supervise publicly traded firms, a role that it carries out with the help of Financial Reporting Enforcement Panel.
Requirements of being a BaFin Forex broker
The primary job of any financial regulatory agency is to ensure that the interests of the investors are protected and BaFin has a lot of measures to ensure that the rights and invested capital of clients are safeguarded. The authority has a detailed framework that monitors and evaluates all the financial firms to ensure that the money market operates efficiently without any risk of fraudulent activities, manipulation and any other activity which may undermine the integrity of the German financial markets.
In comparison to other financial regulatory authorities around the world, BaFin is considered to be more proactive mainly due to the fact that it is largely controlled by the Federal authorities in the European country. To ensure that financial markets in a country are stable and efficient, it is important to set an equilibrium between the rights, interests and objectives of both the financial firms in the country and the investors. This can only be met if the regulation body sets transparent guidelines that aim to be beneficial to both the financial service providers and the investors. While there are numerous measures that are taken to protect the interests of both the vendors and Forex brokers in germany, here are a few of the regulations of which BaFin Forex brokers are required to follow if they wish to offer currency exchange services in the EU.
- A minimum operating capital- It is necessary for each BaFin Forex broker to have a minimum operating capital of about €750,000 prior to starting their operations. The minimum operating capital is, however, not set in stone and will largely depend on the size of the firm and the magnitude of their financial transaction or operations. Forex brokers under BaFin are required to hold this amount to mitigate any probable risks, both internal and external risks, while also helping meet operational costs that cannot be raised from the clients.
- Investor funds- the BaFin regulated Forex brokers are required to maintain any investor funds in aggregated accounts. The regulations also require that each Forex broker under BaFin should have accounts at Commerzbank and Deustche Bank. These two banks are recommended since they are the main liquidity providers in the country apart from also being the biggest banks in Germany.
- Credit worthiness- it is also critically important for any Forex brokerage firms that seeks to set up shop in Germany to prove their credit worthiness to the authority. For BaFin to approve this, the brokerage firm should be able to state some of its management strategies in case there are unexpected market risks. Also, they are expected to have in place some liquidation procedures that should guarantee the safety of any invested funds that they handle.
- Management- proper management is key to any Forex brokerage business and BaFin recognizes this. The Forex brokers who are governed by BaFin should have competent experts leading the company to ensure that the firm can perform its day to day activities well. The experts should hold key managerial positions, which may include directors, executive managers or even CEO’s. Furthermore, they should have a clear record with both the Federal Central Register and the Central Commercial Register.
- Financial reports- Like most if not all regulatory bodies, Forex brokerage firms under BaFin are required to submit their financial statement and audit reports. This is done with the view of watching out any illegal activities t8hat may arise in the course of service provision. In the event that there are any illegal or fraudulent financial activities taking place, BaFin has been constitutionally mandated with the task of carrying out investigations and imposing any penalties or even sanctions depending with the crime. To achieve this, the regulatory authority carries out audits and checks on all of its members in a bid to ensure that all malpractices are punished by law.
- Price controls- Forex brokers under BaFin are required to desist from any market manipulation tactics. These tactics may include tampering with financial trading platforms, hoarding investor funds or even price setting. In the event that a company is found guilty, the regulator has the authority to institute a number of sanctions which can range from placing heavy penalties, initiating criminal or civil proceedings and revoking brokers licenses.
Scams and reporting violations to BaFin
Although BaFin is known to be one of strictest financial regulators in the world, it has also faced a number of accusations in the past especially when it was being formed. It has also been implicated in a number of corruption and embezzlement scandals such as a corruption accusation in 2006. In the scandals, a number of board members from BaFin had embezzled funds from the authority and the perpetrators of this crime were later indicted. Also, the organization was also blamed for failing to take preventative measures following the financial crisis of 2008, which saw many banks collapse. While the regulatory authority was formed to curtail any financial malpractices, it had failed to achieve this. An internal document from the organization leaked during this period with overwhelming evidence that the body knew that most financial institutions were troubled with some having bad loans amounting to about 800 billion euros.
Forex brokers under BaFin
Popularly known as ForexTime, FXTM has strived to be a global powerhouse in offering retail Forex and CFD brokerage services albeit in a short period. The company’s features and commitment to excellent customer service can be pegged as one of the reasons for this. For example, it offers a great trading platform for all its clients. Other attractive features about the company include proper regulation by the CySEC, MiFID and even BaFin, an investor compensation fund, a large number of currencies and other trading instruments. This is one of the highly regulated and safest Forex broker in the world.
HotForex is a great commodity and Forex broker that has scooped a number of awards over the last few years. It is a great brokerage company if you are just starting out in the Forex market as you can easily trade in smaller volumes. This is achieved by the different types of accounts to cater to the different needs of all individuals. Furthermore, the Forex broker offers different options when it comes to trading platforms. You can use the MT4 platform which is available as a desktop app, mobile app and even web app. You will also get access to a wide variety of informative tools.